Official source: Autopsy of 7-year-old Newburgh boy shows severe malnutrition, may have died from starvation
Authorities are investigating the death of a 7-year-old who may have been starved and abused.
An official source tells News 12 that an autopsy appears to show that the boy may have starved to death in his own home.
Newburgh authorities were seen in Tyvek suits at the boy’s William Street apartment Wednesday, hours after officials say the boy was taken deceased to the hospital by a caretaker.
An official source tells News 12 the autopsy shows the child died four hours before he was brought to the hospital
An official source close to the investigation says an autopsy shows the child was severely malnourished and may have died from starvation. That source says the boy’s legs had injuries consistent with being shackled, while Newburgh investigators say it’s possible those injuries were caused by tight ankle socks or bedsores.
Neighbors we spoke to say they’re heartbroken and often saw the boy playing outside during the summertime.
Newburgh police are still investigating the cause of death but say there are clear signs of neglect and abuse.
They say it’s not yet clear who the child lived with and that CPS is investigating since other children also lived in the home.
It’s not clear if the boy had been in school in person or was taking classes virtually, which could have contributed to the alleged abuse slipping through the cracks.
Newburgh school officials issued their condolences to loved ones and the community tonight in a statement, saying grief counseling is available to anyone in need.
Anyone with information is asked to call the City of Newburgh Police at (845) 561-3131.