It's back to school for many towns and cities across the state this week.
Some high school students in Fairfield are upset about a new policy that will take their phones away for the entire school day.
Every school district has the right to make decisions on cellphones in schools. Last year, high school students in Fairfield had their phones taken away in each class but could still use them between classes or at lunch. A full bell-to-bell ban begins on Oct. 6.
"This policy doesn't really help students learn any better," said Fairfield Ludlowe Junior Zac Dentz, who started a petition against the Fairfield Board of Education decision.
Shortly after the school board came to the decision on Aug. 18, some students started signing the petition that has reached over 1,300 signatures.
"I can understand why they're doing it but it's not effective," said Dentz.
The school system says students' phones must be turned off and placed in a school issued secure phone pouch from the first bell of the school day until students are dismissed for the day. They say phones cannot be stored in a pocket or anywhere else.
State lawmakers say kids are already spending too much time on their phones.
"I think the pouch system is an innovative way to be able to ensure that students are focused on learning while they're in the school environment while still being able to access their phone if necessary," said state Sen. Tony Hwang.
Phones will be confiscated for the first offense and if it continues – they won't be allowed at school for the rest of the year.
Fairfield’s superintendent was unavailable for comment. Gov. Ned Lamont has said that he supports the bell-to-bell ban as a way of getting students to focus on their schoolwork.