Newburgh city officials respond to crime cover-up allegations
Newburgh city officials are releasing new information about what they say is a drop in crime after a series of gang raids and allegations of a crime cover-up.
Officials said Monday that the city has seen a 64% decrease in bullet to body shootings, a 22% reduction in violent crime and a 20% drop in property crimes since their joint “Operation Bandemic” with the FBI and state police last November.
The information comes on the heels of a News 12 report about city officials allegedly withholding public information on crime to improve the city's image by directing department heads not to speak to the media and requiring media inquiries to be sent to City Hall, many of which have gone unanswered for months.
District Attorney Dave Hoovler spoke to News 12 about the allegations and doubled down on his transparency concerns in a subsequent news release on Monday, saying the city has issued fewer press releases within the last few months and that he was personally asked by city officials to cut back on the number of releases his office issues about Newburgh crimes.
Hoovler also says the city’s current administration removed a criminal investigator his office had working in the city’s detective bureau to help city police solve shooting cases.
News 12 most recently inquired with officials at City Hall multiple times for updated information about a deceased woman found on the street in the City of Newburgh last week, as well as information on a reported stabbing that allegedly sent a victim to the emergency room with multiple stab wounds but has not heard back.