Yonkers boy recovers in burn unit after oven accident
A 5-year-old Yonkers boy was badly burned Friday morning when a pot of boiling water fell on his head.
The boy?s father, Ricardo Wiltshire, says his family was trying to heat the apartment with their oven when the accident happened. After he left for work, he received a call from his nephew telling him there was an accident at home. His son, Ricardo Wiltshire Jr., had apparently sat on the open oven door, causing the stove to tip and the water to fall onto his head.
"I came back, and my son was running back and forth, no skin on his legs, no skin on his back,? Wiltshire recalls.
The boy?s father says the stove should have been bolted down, but wasn?t.
The child is being treated in the burn unit of Westchester Medical Center. He sustained burns to more than 25 percent of his body.
The administrations of Westchester County and the city of Yonkers are currently working to restore heat to local homes, which is required by law.