Powder at Tarrytown facility causes hazmat scare
A worker at the Tarrytown sewage treatment plant was sent to the hospital Thursday morning after getting covered by mysterious white powder.
The incident happened at around 10 a.m., when a rubber ball traveling on a conveyer belt at the county-run plant ruptured, spraying the worker?s face and arms with white powder.
Firefighters, police and the county hazmat unit arrived at the scene to test the air and the powder, which turned out be a non-toxic flour or starch-like substance often found in stress and exercise balls.
The worker was instructed to take a decontaminating shower at the plant and was later taken to an area hospital for observation.
The sewage treatment plant shut down while the incident was being investigated, but water supply to area homes was not interrupted.