Officials: Girl mistook lighter for flashlight, causing fire on Lunney Court in Spring Valley

Detectives believe a girl who mistook a lighter for a flashlight caused a fire in Spring Valley that displaced 12 families. They say a 10-year-old girl confused a barbecue lighter for a flashlight

News 12 Staff

Aug 7, 2014, 2:58 AM

Updated 3,636 days ago

Share:

Detectives believe a girl who mistook a lighter for a flashlight caused a fire in Spring Valley that displaced 12 families.
They say a 10-year-old girl confused a barbecue lighter for a flashlight and accidentally set her closet on fire.
"She went into the closet looking for this item and couldn't find it," said Detective Reginald Anderson. "She came back out. She said a few minutes later when she went back, she noticed a fire."
Flames broke out at the Sleepy Hollow Gardens apartments on Lunney Court Tuesday. Officials say eight of the 12 units have been completely destroyed.
Investigators say the girl's mother was sleeping in the other room when her daughter accidentally started the fire.


More from News 12