Neighbors: Family narrowly escaped home destroyed by fire in Orange County
Neighbors say an Orange County family of five escaped with just moments to spare Monday night when a fire started and quickly spread in their home.
Fire officials say the house on Canterbury Circle was in flames when they arrived.
The Washingtonville Fire Department told News 12 that the fire started just before 11 p.m.
Neighbors say the family moved in a few years ago and have three young kids between the ages of 5 and 13.
“It's unfortunate because it's right around the holidays," said neighbor Tristan Katzmann.
The family escaped the fire and freezing cold by going to a neighbor's house for help while firefighters salvaged what they could of their home.
"It was horrible, but all of us neighbors pitched in to help and did the right thing," said Laura Casey.
The Red Cross was there to help the family, but it's not clear where they will be for the holidays or where they will stay until their home can be rebuilt.
It’s not yet clear what sparked the fire.