Hundreds without power in Eastchester apartment building after electrical malfunction
Hundreds of people in an Eastchester apartment building were left without power on a hot and muggy Tuesday.
An electrical malfunction caused smoke in the basement of the co-op building, so Con Edison shut off the electricity around 2 a.m. Tuesday.
That meant no air conditioning on a hot day and no elevator service for many senior residents.
Tim Casper has lived at the Kenilworth for more than eight years, and says they've never had this sort of problem before.
"Nobody planned it to happen, it happened, and you have to deal with it. And they have a crew here, they're gonna be hooking up a temporary generator, Con Ed will follow up, and I'm sure we'll be back in business," he says.
An electrical company is looking into the cause of the malfunction, and don't know when the power will be restored.
In the meantime, a generator is being hooked up.