Gov. Hochul: Metro-North will be 'near-normal' schedule Monday following mudslide disruption

The mudslide that happened on Saturday resulted in service disruptions between the Croton-Harmon and Tarrytown stops.

Roberto Torres and Jade Nash

Oct 22, 2023, 3:43 PM

Updated 263 days ago


Gov. Kathy Hochul announced early Sunday evening that Metro-North service on the Hudson Line will operate on a near-normal weekday schedule following mudslides in Scarborough.
Hochul said crews worked around the clock for 43 hours cleaning up the tracks to restore service between the stops.
Hochul touted officials who helped clear the rails before the start of the work week. In a statement, Hochul said in part, "In the face of dangerous weather and a looming deadline, our MTA team worked around-the-clock to restore the safe, reliable service new yorkers count on."
Hochul added that cleanup work will continue for days on the remaining two tracks. Crews will also rebuild 140 feet of the third rail that was crushed by the mudslide to ensure the two operable tracks are safe for train service.
Two of the four tracks in the area, however, were still out of service as of Sunday night and the railroad would adjust schedules to reduce congestion-related delays. This means four of the 158 trains that the railroad operates daily were canceled.
Additionally, trains that operate in the reverse-peak direction will operate express between Tarrytown and Croton-Harmon. This meant trains will bypass Philipse Manor or Scarborough during the morning and evening rush hours. Metro-North riders who travel north to those stations in the morning will need to ride a northbound train to Ossining or Croton-Harmon to board a southbound train. Customers who travel south from the impacted stations in the evening will need to ride a southbound train to Tarrytown to board a northbound train.
Hudson Line customers should still expect the following schedule changes for Monday:
- The 6:42 a.m. train that departs from Poughkeepsie will not be running.
- The 6:25 a.m. and 6:48 a.m. trains that depart from Poughkeepsie were still not running as of Sunday night.
- The 6:45 a.m. and 7:08 a.m. trains that depart from Croton-Harmon will not be running.
- The 6:41 a.m. train that departs from Croton-Harmon were still not running as of Sunday night.
- The 5:30 p.m. train that departs from Grand Central will not be running.
- The 5:32 p.m. train that departs from Grand Central were still not running as of Sunday night.
- The 6:11 p.m. train that departs from Grand Central will not be running.
- The 6:15 p.m. train that departs from Grand Central were still not running as of Sunday night.
For more information on train service on the Hudson Line, you can visit the MTA website's page on Metro-North service.
Amtrak service was also mostly restored as of Sunday night, but a few select Empire Service trains will remain canceled for equipment repositioning.
David Markoff and his brother Joshua were among a large group of passengers who were spotted waiting for a transfer at Tarrytown's train station Sunday afternoon.
"Well, we just [came] back from Disneyland," Markoff said. "We flew into JFK, got the Uber to Grand Central, and then we got to... Tarrytown."
The two brothers, who were trying to travel back to Newburgh, said they were in for a surprise when they found out that a mudslide was going to impact their trip back home.
"We had no idea, we've been on a redeye, I'm lucky I know what day it is. I just want to get home," Markoff said.
Drone videos of the mudslide:
The duo told News 12 that they would have to take the bus from the Tarrytown station to the Croton-Harmon station to get a train to Beacon.
Francis Gordon was at the Tarrytown station. He said he wanted to get back home from a trip.
"I went to Brooklyn last week to visit some family, but what happened is I'm supposed to come back today to get to work for 11," Gordon said.
He said he had to give his boss a call to let them know that he might be a little late for his shift.
"My trip is normally like two hours and it took like four hours for me to get here today," Gordon said.
In addition to taking the bus from Tarrytown to Croton, several taxi drivers also lined up outside of the Tarrytown station to take passengers to where they needed to go.
Luckily, Gordon said he was able to call someone to come get him.
"I was supposed to go home first, but now I think I'm just going to go straight to my job," Gordon said.

More from News 12