Firefighters extinguish smoldering hot spots after Mount Vernon fire
A stubborn fire in Mount Vernon was still smoldering Tuesday, one day after it ripped through a home and sent the homeowner to the hospital.
Firefighters were on the scene to extinguish the hotspots at the three-story home on East Fifth Street.
The home was destroyed after flames erupted around 3 p.m. Monday.
The homeowner was rescued by firefighters and taken to the hospital. She is expected to be OK.
It was not immediately known what sparked the blaze.