Fire destroys multi-family home in New Rochelle

Four New Rochelle families are homeless this morning after a fire destroyed their homes overnight. Fire officials say they received a call around 2:30 a.m. about a fire in the basement of a multi-family

News 12 Staff

Dec 13, 2011, 5:41 PM

Updated 4,594 days ago

Share:

Four New Rochelle families are homeless this morning after a fire destroyed their homes overnight.
Fire officials say they received a call around 2:30 a.m. about a fire in the basement of a multi-family home on Dewitt Place. Officials say all residents of the home were outside when they arrived, and no one was hurt.
Investigators say the fire started in a faulty oil burner in the basement.
Approximately 30 firefighters took about two hours to get the flames under control. Officials say the fire was difficult to put out because it got into the walls of the structure. Firefighters had to take down walls, ceilings and parts of the exterior.
The Red Cross is helping the fire victims. They say most went to stay with family or friends.
One firefighter suffered a minor back injury. He was taken to the hospital and is expected to be fine.
Investigators say the fire started in a faulty oil burner in the basement.
One firefighter suffered a minor back injury. He was taken to the hospital and is expected to be fine.


More from News 12