Eastchester FD battles blaze in their own firehouse

Members of the Eastchester Fire Department battled a blaze in their own firehouse Sunday that appeared to have started from an electrical short circuit in the basement. The fire broke out just before

News 12 Staff

Jan 8, 2006, 11:11 PM

Updated 6,711 days ago

Share:

Eastchester FD battles blaze in their own firehouse
Members of the Eastchester Fire Department battled a blaze in their own firehouse Sunday that appeared to have started from an electrical short circuit in the basement.
The fire broke out just before 9 a.m. at a firehouse on Oregon Avenue by New Rochelle Road. While chemical fire extinguishers were used on the blaze, firefighters could not use water because the firehouse was still hooked up to electricity. Con Edison crews arrived 45 minutes after the fire began to cut power from the transformer.
While the response was quick, officials say the damage was severe and it will take time to get the firehouse up and running again. The Westchester County Cause and Origin Team is working to determine exactly how the fire was started.


More from News 12