Authorities: Fire destroys home in Spring Valley

Fire officials say they received a call reporting the incident at the home on Gladys Street just before 2 a.m.

Emily Young and

News 12 Staff

Apr 27, 2024, 3:23 PM

Updated 31 days ago

Share:

A Spring Valley home was left destroyed by a fire that broke out early Saturday morning.
Fire officials say they received a call reporting the incident at the home on Gladys Street just before 2 a.m. Spring Valley firefighters and four other fire departments responded to the scene.
Officials say the home belonged to a family with two young children. The fire was caused by Shabbos candles that fell over.
The husband attempted to put out the flames after smelling the smoke. However, the fire had already spread.
A neighbor told News 12 that the homeowner came running out and knocked on doors to alert others to the fire.
“It just engulfed so quickly. They were standing there, and she was screaming, ‘Fire! Fire! Call 911!’ They had nothing on, just their pajamas,” said Nicole Runie.
Officials say the fire did not reach any connected homes in the area. However, several units in the complex were left without water and electricity.


More from News 12