STORM WATCH

Extreme heat continues with scattered storms throughout the weekend

3 Yonkers families homeless after building fire

Three Yonkers families will be homeless for the holidays this year after a fire damaged a multifamily home. The fire ignited at the home located at 162 Buena Vista Ave. early Sunday morning. Fire officials

News 12 Staff

Nov 11, 2014, 3:22 AM

Updated 3,511 days ago

Share:

Three Yonkers families will be homeless for the holidays this year after a fire damaged a multifamily home.
The fire ignited at the home located at 162 Buena Vista Ave. early Sunday morning. Fire officials say the fire started from a space heater.
It took dozens of firefighters about a half-hour to get the blaze under control.
The building's landlord assessed the damage Monday and says the fire started in the third-floor apartment.
"The tenant was just here a little while ago and he pointed to the heater," he says. "The space heater, and it was melted and he told me the fire department told him that's where it started."
The landlord told News 12 that a cat did not survive the fire.


More from News 12