What's Cooking: Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace's stuffed peppers
Chef Giovanni Farruggio, of Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace, shows News 12's Lily Stolzberg how to make stuffed peppers.
• 1 large yellow pepper
• 1 large red pepper
• 1 large orange pepper
• ½ pound ground beef
• 1 cup chopped onion
• 3 cups cooked rice
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 1 tbs finely chopped basil
• 1 tbs finely chopped parsley
• 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
• ¼ cup pecorino romano
• 3 cups marinara sauce
• Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut off tops of bell peppers. Remove seeds and membranes. Rinse bell peppers. If necessary, cut thin slice from bottom of each pepper so they stand upright. Set aside.
• Brown ground beef and onion in large skillet on medium-high heat. Drain fat and transfer to a bowl.
• Add rice, basil, parsley, pecorino, mozzarella and two cups of marinara to the bowl. Season with salt and pepper; mix until well blended.
• Stuff all the peppers with the stuffing mix, making sure there are no air pockets.
• Line a deep baking dish with a ½ cup marinara. Place your peppers in baking dish right side up.
• Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until peppers are tender. Garnish your peppers with a 1 tbs of marinara on top and a sprinkle of pecorino romano.