What's Cooking: Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace's cured lemon and asparagus salad
Chef Vinny Olivieri, of Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace, shows News 12's Lily Stolzberg how to make cured lemon and asparagus salad.
For the Cured Lemon:
• 1 lemon, thinly sliced either on a mandolin or with a chef knife. Lemon must be super thin.
• 1 TBS sugar
• ½ TBS kosher salt
For the Asparagus Salad:
• 2 bunches asparagus, base removed then cut into thirds.
• ¼ cup peas
• ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
• 4 oz crumbled feta cheese
• 2 tsp Kosher salt
• ½ tsp black pepper
• 2 TBS extra-virgin olive oil.
1. Combine sliced lemon, salt and sugar. Mix well and set aside to cure for 15-30 minutes.
2. Preheat a large sauce pot with 3 quarts of water, season with salt. Bring to a boil.
3. Prepare a bowl with ice water.
4. Place cut asparagus into boiling water. Blanch asparagus for 1 minute. Remove asparagus from boiling water with a slotted spoon and place directly into ice water.
5. Place peas into the same boiling water, blanch for 30 seconds and add to ice water.
6. Remove blanched vegetables from ice water and place into a mixing bowl.
7. Add thinly sliced onions, feta cheese and cured lemons. Mix well.
8. Place onto plate and drizzle with Uncle Giuseppe’s Olive Oil.