Tenants demand upgrades after carbon monoxide scare in Mott Haven

Tenants at a Mott Haven building are demanding their landlord make changes after dangerously high carbon monoxide levels forced them out of their homes. Residents hung signs at their building Thursday

News 12 Staff

Nov 16, 2006, 11:33 PM

Updated 6,456 days ago

Share:

Tenants at a Mott Haven building are demanding their landlord make changes after dangerously high carbon monoxide levels forced them out of their homes.
Residents hung signs at their building Thursday to bring attention to the landlord who they say puts profits above people. Many tenants are looking for new homes because they say the management has neglected the building, putting their lives at risk. They claim the landlord is not taking responsibility for the faulty boiler that firefighters say may have caused the leak.
Authorities say the tenants could have died if they were in the building 30 minutes longer during the leak Wednesday. Housing inspectors installed new carbon monoxide detectors in some apartments after the incident. The Department of Housing Preservation and Development has 132 open violations on record for 602 E. 139th St., several of which are considered serious. The landlord had workers on site Thursday to fix the boiler.
Related Information


More from News 12