Several injured in Eastchester apartment building fire
Several people had to be taken to the hospital in an apartment fire in Westchester over the weekend.
A fire broke out Sunday afternoon in a kitchen on the sixth floor of an apartment building at 194 Garth Road in Scarsdale. Officials say that while the building has a Scarsdale address, it is actually in Eastchester.
Dozens of fire fighters rushed to the scene when they received reports that several people were trapped. "After responding over our radio, the dispatchers were alerting us that several people were trapped up in the smoke on the sixth floor, but through the police officers and the firefighters, they were able to get them out," says Eastchester Fire Chief Brian Tween.
Six people have been taken to the hospital, including three residents and three police officers for smoke inhalation and other injuries, Tween said.
Several area fire departments came in to help. About 30 firefighters worked the scene, and it took about 30 minutes to knock out the main body of flames. Crews worked quickly to keep the flames from spreading throughout the building, but it was a close call. "We did have some extension up into the attic area. They were able to keep that under control before it spread too greatly," says Chief Tween.
A water pipe was also broken in the building. The entire building is dealing with water damage.
ConEd arrived to isolate electrical panels to prevent further damage.
According to fire officials, just about everyone was able to go back into their apartments except for the people living in the fire apartment and the one directly below, which suffered water damage.
Investigators say it looks as though a pot on the stove may have started the fire.