Narcan administered to save New Rochelle high student

In a letter home to students, Superintendent of Schools Jonathan P. Raymond says a member of the nursing staff had to administer Narcan to the student.

Nadia Galindo

Jan 10, 2023, 11:47 AM

Updated 504 days ago

Share:

Letters went home to parents Monday after a New Rochelle High School student nearly overdosed on suspected opioids after vaping.
City School District of New Rochelle Superintendent Jonathan Raymond said it happened Monday around 12 p.m.
He said the student was in and out of consciousness after vaping what they believed to be marijuana but appeared to be laced with something else.
"The student was clearly having a bad reaction to whatever they were exposed to," said Raymond.
The school's nursing staff had to use Narcan, a nasal spray used to treat suspected opioid overdoses.
"The nurses are trained to act quickly and that's what our nurses did," said Raymond.
It's the first time the district has had to administer the potentially lifesaving medicine to a student, but Raymond says Narcan has been available at the high school since 2016.
It's a measure many school districts have now taken as the opioid epidemic rages in the state.
In the letter to parents, Raymond stated, "Our students, staff and everyone in our community must understand that even one hit from a cartridge can be deadly. While we have not confirmed the substance that harmed our student today, we know that any vaping devices or drugs purchased on the street may - and likely do - contain the synthetic opioid fentanyl, and even the smallest dose can be lethal."


More from News 12