Nearly 1 year later, measles remain a concern in NY
Just weeks away from the one year mark of the beginning of the measles outbreak, things are slowing down, but certainly not over.
Sept. 30 marks one year since the disease made its infamous return to the United States. Dr. Sarah Seaforth with PM Pediatrics in Yonkers says world travelers will have to worry about their safety traveling to the U.S. because of it.
"It's an international concern. The measles is a very highly contagious disease that can easily be contracted. It's a public health emergency," says Seaforth.
According to the New York City Department on Health, 654 cases were reported during the emergency, which was declared over on Tuesday. But there are still some cases in Rockland County.
According to Rockland officials, the numbers are steadily decreasing, with seven cases reported last month. In the past year, they've administered nearly 28,000 MMR vaccines.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, there were measles patients in 31 states last year. The majority of cases are among those who were not vaccinated.