More Stories






City crews have begun snow operations ahead of the approaching storm.
Beginning Sunday morning, more than 2,600 sanitation workers will shift to 12‑hour schedules as officials take early action to prepare for conditions expected to be more hazardous than last month’s storm.
The mayor said the city is readying more than 2,200 vehicles and loading over 700 salt spreaders, with plows to be deployed citywide once snowfall exceeds two inches.
As snow begins to fall, property owners and businesses are reminded they must clear sidewalks to a minimum width of four feet. The city is also increasing cleanup efforts by hiring additional emergency snow workers, including more than 1,000 shovelers beginning Sunday night.
A Code Blue was declared Saturday afternoon, meaning all warming resources will be available. Outreach teams will expand operations across all five boroughs around the clock to bring vulnerable residents indoors.
New Yorkers are urged to prepare now and stay off the roads unless travel is absolutely necessary once the storm hits. Beginning Monday, daily operations will shift, with alternate‑side parking suspended.
New York City Department of Sanitation Commissioner Javier Lojan said residents should expect trash collection delays for at least the first few days after the storm as crews focus on snow removal.
If travel is necessary after the snowfall, Metropolitan Transportation Authority officials said service will be adjusted. MTA CEO Janno Lieber said express trains are likely to run on local tracks so trains can be stored in tunnels to ensure Monday service.
Regarding whether New York City public schools will return to in‑person or remote learning after midwinter break, the mayor said a decision will be announced by noon Sunday.