Lithium-ion batteries possibly behind East Fishkill house fire

The fire broke out on Brandy Lane in East Fishkill Saturday morning. Firefighters said they were met by heavy smoke and flames.

News 12 Staff

Jul 2, 2023, 11:15 AM

Updated 347 days ago

Share:

A house in Duchess County was left badly damaged following a fire that may have been caused by lithium-ion batteries.
The fire broke out on Brandy Lane in East Fishkill Saturday morning. Firefighters said they were met by heavy smoke and flames.
Officials say once the fire was brought under control, several badly damaged lithium-ion batteries were found in the garage.
It’s not certain, though, that the batteries caused the fire.
"The fire is still under investigation. So we are not totally sure if that set it off,” says East Fishkill Fire Chief Frank Lacalamita. “We just found the batteries, and that's why we just wanted to make sure that they were safe."
Lacalamita says hazmat crews from Duchess and Westchester counties were called to the scene.
Officials say only one person was home at the time of the fire, and no one was injured.


More from News 12