Kitchen fire forces evacuation at Greenburgh camp
A kitchen fire in Greenburgh forced children at Camp Mohawk to evacuate Monday morning.
Dozens of children were inside the main building at 200 Old Tarrytown Rd. getting ready for a swimming lesson when the fire broke out. Camp officials say the fire alarm was working and all of the campers were evacuated safely.
Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the fast-moving fire. The fire chief says the fire started when a stove pipe got disconnected from the duct work. According to fire officials, the flames began in the wall and extended to the second floor.
Camp officials say due to the fire, the campers will have to eat cold lunches. The camp director says the Westchester County Board of Health will determine if the kitchen can be used again.