Iona College student may have bacterial meningitis
An Iona College sophomore is in critical condition with what officials believe is bacterial meningitis. The college says the 19-year-old man went home to Long Island Tuesday and was hospitalized the next day.
Iona College posted a health alert on its Web site to let students know about the situation.
The college is taking precautions to prevent the spread of the highly contagious disease. College officials say the school is giving preventive antibiotics to 50 students who attended a party with the 19-year-old a week ago and may have been exposed to the infection through sharing food, drinks or other contact.
?They called everybody at the party, they gave us antibiotics,? says student Colleen Cunningham.
Symptoms of bacterial meningitis can include fever, headache, neck stiffness and vomiting. According to health officials, meningitis can cause brain damage, hearing loss or a learning disability.
The identity of the student has not been revealed and the diagnosis has not yet been confirmed.
This is not the first health scare for Iona College. In 2007, 10 members of the football team contracted the potentially deadly staphylococci infection known as MRSA.
For an update on the possible meningitis case at Iona College, go to your digital cable box and select iO Extra, Channel 612.
Iona College Health Alert