Historic barn that’s home to a Washingtonville candle store goes up in flames

Flames broke out overnight at the Corner Candle Store on Depot Street and quickly went to two alarms.

News 12 Staff

Nov 4, 2021, 11:11 AM

Updated 983 days ago

Share:

An historic barn that’s home to a candle store has gone up in flames in Washingtonville.
Flames broke out overnight at the Corner Candle Store on Depot Street and quickly went to two alarms.
Firefighters were able to put the flames out but the second floor looks gutted and the first floor has water damage.
The building is 175 years old and was originally a cooperage - that made buckets and barrels in the late 1800s.
It’s been a candle store and specialty gift shop for the past 45 years.
The owners say the fire, just before their busy Christmas season, couldn’t have come at a worse time. “It’s terrible for the community because we’ve been here for so long and a lot of people rely on us for their Christmas season and it’s just not gonna happen this year. It’s sad,” says owner Richard Broderick.
The owners believe an electrical problem may have caused the fire.
They were planning on retiring in a few months, and had a buyer lined up for the building, so they’re hoping the building can be salvaged.
Thankfully, no one was hurt.


More from News 12