Fried transformer releases carbon monoxide

The recent demand for power fried a transformer in Pelham Wednesday, causing the release of dangerous carbon monoxide gas. Firefighters responded to the underground transformer fire on Fifth Avenue between

News 12 Staff

Jun 12, 2008, 12:00 AM

Updated 5,820 days ago

Share:

Fried transformer releases carbon monoxide
The recent demand for power fried a transformer in Pelham Wednesday, causing the release of dangerous carbon monoxide gas.
Firefighters responded to the underground transformer fire on Fifth Avenue between Second and Third streets around 6 a.m. Around 8:30 a.m., carbon monoxide gas was detected at more than 20 times the normal level in apartments at the site.About 150 people, and even pets, were evacuated from 77 units as nearby roads where shut down as a precaution.
Con Edison crews spent the day repairing the damaged transformer, but no one was allowed back inside their homes or nearby stores for several hours.
Deli owner Dean Katz lost thousands of dollars in business. "Wednesday is a very busy day for us," said Katz. "Losing your whole inventory, what you had in stock ? everything thrown away in the garbage," he said referring to food that spoiled without refrigeration.


More from News 12