Fire tears through multi-family home in Mount Vernon
Two families are homeless for the holidays after an overnight fire in Mount Vernon.
The blaze broke out Tuesday morning at a home on Nuber Avenue. Officials have now deemed the three-family house illegal citing the landlord for an illegal attic apartment.
Fire officials say the blaze started when cooking oil was left unattended in a kitchen located in the basement. They say the cooking oil ignited sparks that traveled to the roof of the building.
Officials say eight people lived at the home and that a few residents were inside at the time of the fire. No one was injured in the blaze.
Officials say the frigid temperatures made it difficult for firefighters to contain the fire, which they say caused extensive damage to the house. A bus was also brought in to help firefighters stay warm.