9 New City residents hospitalized with CO poisoning
Nine Rockland County residents were taken to the hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning Tuesday morning, authorities say.
According to Clarkstown police, a carbon monoxide detector went off inside a multifamily home at 399 South Little Tor Road in New City shortly after 2 a.m. The owner of the house thought the detector malfunctioned, but when he changed the batteries, it sounded again.
?We wake up, my daughter started to feel weak, and then we called 911 and went to the hospital,? says Kenny Sayto, who lives at the house with his family.
The responding officers evacuated all the residents, including five children. Then, the New City fire officials went in with meters, which registered extremely high levels of carbon monoxide inside the residence.
All the tenants were treated and released from Nyack Hospital. The Orange and Rockland Utility inspected the home and deemed it safe for them to go back inside.