Frost ADVISORY in effect for:
Fire destroys cottage at Russian Orthodox convent in RocklandPosted: Updated:
A fire destroyed a cottage at a Russian Orthodox convent in Rockland County Wednesday morning.
Firefighters say they had a tough job on the grounds of the Nanuet convent as flames quickly spread through one of the bungalows on the 50-acre complex around 7 a.m.
One person was in the cottage when the fire started and was able to get out unharmed.
About 1,500 feet of hose had to be pulled from Smith Road to the site of the fire.
Several departments were called in, and it took 30-40 minutes to put out the flames.
There were four units in the bungalow, and crews were able to save three of them. The fourth one was completely destroyed.
Crews also had to worry about the wooded area surrounding the building.
Investigators tell News 12 that the fire does not look suspicious. They tell News 12 that a person in the bungalow makes wax candles so they are investigating.