Outdoor grill blamed for Mount Vernon fire

Posted: Updated:

A summer staple may be to blame for a fire that forced a family from their home in Mount Vernon.

Firefighters say a barbecue in the backyard may have caused the fire on Devonia Avenue just after 9:30 p.m. on Wednesday.

No one was hurt in the fire. The family stayed at a neighbor's home overnight and can go back inside today.

Officials say people need to pay attention when grilling outdoors. "It's just another cautionary tale that you have to be mindful of your grill. How close it is to your home, when you put the charcoal out, make sure it's all the way out. Try to take it as far away as you can from something that's flammable. Be it a tree, bushes, especially your home," says Mayor Richard Thomas.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."