2 students critical after gas explosion in Monroe bungalowPosted: Updated:
Two Brooklyn yeshiva students remain in critical condition and 10 others were injured in a gas explosion in Orange Thursday night.
The incident occurred during a senior trip for a group of male students at the Quaker Hill Bungalow Colony in Monroe.
One of the students from Novominsk Yeshiva told News 12 that the explosion and subsequent fire occurred soon after they arrived.
"The boys arrived at the house and all we know is there was an odor of gas," he said.
Monroe police say it was around midnight when the teens smelled gas coming from a stove, and without warning, the bungalow exploded with them inside.
Police say it took eight fire departments and multiple rescue crews to knock down the fire and make sure the students were secured.
They say the victims were taken to two different hospitals.
A rabbi for the Novominsk Yeshiva told News 12 that the trip was canceled and that the teens who weren't hurt were immediately taken back home by bus.