9 Yonkers tenants treated for carbon monoxide poisoning

Posted: Updated:
YONKERS -

Nine people were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning early Friday morning after the odorless gas filled up a multifamily home in Yonkers.

Officials say the nine residents at 104 Oak St.  were taken to the hospital with symptoms such as vomiting and dizziness. 

Fire officials confirmed that the chimney of the multifamily unit had been blocked for an unknown period of time, causing the carbon monoxide to fill the building.

They also say an unplugged carbon monoxide detector was found inside.

Officials say carbon monoxide poisoning is preventable if detectors are plugged in and working.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."