9 people hospitalized with possible carbon monoxide poisoning

Posted: Updated:
YONKERS -

At least nine people from a Yonkers apartment building were rushed to the hospital overnight with possible carbon monoxide poisoning.

Police say a resident reported the incident at 2:30 a.m. Friday.

When officers arrived, they say people from three different apartments at 104 Oak St. reported lightheadedness, dizziness and vomiting. They were all conscious at the time.

The victims were all taken to Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx and are expected to survive.

Emergency personnel and utility crews also responded to determine whether carbon monoxide poisoning caused the symptoms. Investigators found the building's chimney blocked, which could have trapped the deadly chemical inside.

Experts say that heavy snow and brutally cold temperatures often cause problems with pipes, cars and generators along with an increase in carbon monoxide cases.

Fire officials say residents should keep working carbon monoxide detectors near their bedrooms.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."