Cigarette sparks deadly fire at Mount Vernon senior citizen home

A man is dead after authorities say he fell asleep smoking a cigarette at a Mount Vernon home for seniors.

Firefighters say they found 68-year-old Earl Todd with burns to his face and hands at 150 S. Fifth Ave. Officials say the blaze broke out about 11:30 p.m. Firefighters were able to contain the fire to Todd's apartment, but neighboring units sustained smoke and water damage.

Neighbors say they are shocked Todd didn't make it out alive because he was not bedridden. The victim is being remembered as a friendly and active man who mostly kept to himself.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."