Dangerous child's play sparks two-alarm fire in Yonkers

A child playing with a lighter apparently ignited flames at a multi-family home in Yonkers Wednesday.

Firefighters say flames were moving quickly through the three-story home at Palisades Avenue around 2:30 a.m. so they had to act fast. They say two women, one elderly, were trapped on the second level because the fire was raging on the first floor. It took more than 30 firefighters about a half an hour to get the two-alarm fire under control. Everyone escaped unharmed. Some firefighters suffered minor injuries, mostly from slipping on the icy streets and sidewalks.

Investigators say the fire started when a 6-year-old boy was playing with a candle lighter on the first floor and ignited a mattress.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."