Gas explosion rocks Yorktown bagel store

A natural gas explosion blew out the front of a Yorktown bagel store Friday.

According to fire officials, Jung Lee, the owner of Bagels and More, was trying to re-ignite the pilot light in the oven when the gas exploded. The force of the explosion shattered the front windows sending shards of glass flying.

Fortunately, no one was standing in front of the store at the time. Lee was also lucky and was not hurt in the blast.

The owner of Matilde's Restaurant, which borders the bagel store, says his place sustained major wall damage on the inside of the restaurant. However, the restaurant will still be able to open. The bagel store will be closed indefinitely while repairs are made.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."