Fire rips through Larchmont mayor's home

It was a rough start to 2008 for the mayor of Larchmont as a fire ripped through her home Tuesday morning.

Mayor Liz Feld, her three children, her nephew and her husband were awakened and forced out into the cold by a fast-moving fire. Officials say a frayed wire in a junction box on the Monroe Avenue home is where the fire began.

Fire officials say the home?s stone structure and insulation acted as a shield to protect the home from going up in flames. However, the home did sustain hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage.

Feld and her family are staying with relatives while repairs are done on their home.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."