2 firefighters injured in toxic gas incident at Tappan Zee High School

Tappan Zee High School is open as usual this morning, hours after a hazmat incident last night.



Fire officials say they were called to the school after a cleaning contractor was using some sort of acid-based solution to clean the ladies room near the building's main entrance. That cleaning solution reacted with an unknown substance in the bathroom to create a toxic gas. "It reacted wrong and created some type of fog, it set off a detector in the school," says Pete Burn, of the Orangeburg Fire Department.



The few people who were in the school, mostly janitorial staff, were evacuated and all got out safely.



However, two volunteer firefighters were sickened by the fumes and had to be taken to the hospital. They are expected to be OK.



The Rockalnd County Hazmat team was called in, and they were able to neutralize the acid.



Classes are in session as scheduled today.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."