Auto body shop destroyed by fire

Smoke and flames engulfed George's Auto Body in Blauvelt just after 8 a.m. on Saturday.



The fast-moving fire was first called in by passers-by of the shop, which is located at 579 Route 303. It took about 60 firefighters approximately an hour to get the flames under control.



The owner of the shop was inside when the fire broke out, but he got out safely once crews arrived. Officials say they had to approach fighting the fire with extra caution due to paint cans and other flammable materials inside the shop, which caused mini-explosions.



The owner says he thinks the blaze started in a car in the shop, but there is no official word yet on what sparked the flames.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."