House fire starts in bird's nest

A fire in an abandoned bird's nest damaged a house in New City this morning.



The nest was next to an electrical fixture in the eves of a house on Twin Peg Drive.



Fortunately, the homeowner smelled smoke and called 911 before the fire spread. "I'm just lucky that it didn't happen during the time we are sleeping. I'm lucky that I was home. I caught it just in time," says Mercy Anim.



The house suffered only minor damage, and firefighters were on the scene for only about a half hour.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."