Hazmat crew burns off leaking propane

A Scarsdale neighborhood is breathing a sigh of relief after narrowly avoiding an explosive situation today.



Fire officials say they received a call around 10 a.m. from a contractor who smelled fumes coming from the propane tank at a home under construction at 136 Saxon Woods Road.



Nearly three dozen emergency personal rushed to the scene to contain the leak. The crews had to either cap the leak wearing full protective gear or set up a "burning tree" to burn off the gas in the air.



They opted for the latter, shutting down a mile of Saxon Woods Road as teams from Con Edison, county police and Yonkers Hazmat redirected the potentially explosive gas high into the air, away from homes. Scarsdale firefighters conducted meter checks on neighboring homes and did not find any gas leaks.



No injuries have been reported. It's still unclear how the tank was punctured.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."