Police: Newburgh fire ignited by lit cigarette

Police say a lit cigarette caused a fire that left several families homeless for the holidays.



Fire officials say the flames sparked at 1:30 a.m. in a two-story house on William Street in Newburgh and then spread to two other attached homes. Newburgh police say that someone inside the building fell asleep with a lit cigarette.



Crews tell News 12 that people were still inside sleeping when firefighters got there, but they were able to get everyone out safely. "There were four families inside two buildings when firefighters arrived. They all safely evacuated. Crews searched for one person they couldn't find, but [it] turns out he'd gotten out before the fire department got there," says Newburgh Assistant Fire Chief Terry Ahlers.



Hours later, the residents returned to the scene to claim what was left of their things.



The Red Cross is helping some of the people who were living there and others are staying with family.



 


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."