Hoverboard blamed for Chappaqua fire; warning issued

A popular holiday gadget is being blamed for a house fire Sunday on Lori Lane in Chappaqua.



Fire officials say a family had just plugged in their newly purchased Swagway Smart Balancing Board when it exploded and caught on fire.



Even though the family quickly put the fire out, the floors were charred and there was smoke damage. Fire officials say if no one was home, the house would have been lost.



Local fire officials are urging people not to buy the product until problems have been fixed.



The devices use rechargeable batteries that are said to be 20 times stronger than the one in a cellphone. Because they have developed a reputation for catching fire, shopkeepers at the Powerboard Store at Ridgehill Mall strongly caution all their customers to carefully read the directions.



It's also important to make sure someone is in the vicinity when charging the device, so that when it turns green, it can be immediately unplugged so the battery doesn't overheat.



 


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."