Mt. Vernon deli fire displaces family upstairs

A fire spread from a Mount Vernon deli into an upstairs apartment Monday, displacing at least one family just days before Thanksgiving.



Fire officials say the blaze sparked after an electric malfunction at the deli on South Fulton Avenue around 6:30 a.m.



The corner apartment sustained the most significant damage, officials say. Jordanne Anderson and her family are seeking a place to stay for several weeks until repairs are made.



It's unclear whether any of the neighboring families will also have to seek shelter elsewhere, but William Bullock, who lives in another apartment in the building, says rescuers kicked down his door during the operation.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."