Officials: Candle may have caused Monsey apartment fire

Officials say a knocked-over candle may have caused a fire that ripped through a Monsey apartment building Saturday, leaving nearly 200 people homeless.



Fire crews arrived just after 3:45 p.m. to the Regency Village Garden complex on Robert Pitt Drive. The flames were quelled within about 90 minutes.



The fire destroyed eight apartments and left 40 others uninhabitable due to smoke and water damage.



No injuries were reported.



While originally thought to be suspicious, officials are now saying that they are leaning toward deeming it accidental. The circumstances surrounding the blaze remain under investigation.



The Red Cross is providing temporarily shelter to displaced residents at Spring Valley's community center.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."