Manhole explosion forces evacuation
A manhole explosion forced the evacuation of two buildings in New Rochelle Thursday.
The explosion happened around 8:30 a.m. on Harrison Street.
New Rochelle firefighters, whose firehouse is right across the street from the explosion, felt the shockwave. "The whole building shook. We came out and saw the flames shooting out of the manhole so we knew exactly what had happened," said Fire Chief Robert Benz.
Two nearby apartment buildings on Fountain Place were evacuated, one as a precaution and the other because high levels of carbon monoxide were discovered. People living in the building were allowed to return to their homes, but many told News 12 that the odor of smoke was overwhelming so they may stay somewhere else.
Con Ed officials say that road salt mixing with rain water may have contributed to the explosion.
No one was injured.