What's Cooking: Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace's Mortadella Schiacciata Sandwich
Chef Giovanni Farruggio, of Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace, shows News 12's Lily Stolzberg how to make a Mortadella Schiacciata Sandwich.
- · 1 24 oz. Uncle Giuseppe’s pizza dough
- · ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- · 1 tbs Maldon Sea salt
- · 2 sprigs of rosemary (picked off the stem)
1. In a 9x13 pan add 3 tbs of olive oil and spread until fully coated.
2. Place dough on pan and stretch the dough so it reaches all edges.
3. Cover dough with plastic wrap and put it in a warm place and let rise for 30-40 min.
4. Once the dough has risen stretch it again by using fingers and dimple the dough while stretching.
5. Add the remainder of the oil, sprinkle with salt and top with rosemary.
6. Bake in a 400 deg. oven for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Remove from oven and let cool.
8. Cut it into six equal squares.
Mortadella Schiacciata Sandwich
- · 1 Schiacchata square
- · 8 slices of Mortadella (thinly sliced)
- · 3 tbs. Stracciatella
- · 1 tbs pistachio (finely chopped)
- · 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1. Carefully cut the schiacciata square horizontally, so it can be used to make a sandwich.
2. On the bottom half of the bread add the mortadella.
3. Top the mortadella with the stracciatella.
4. Top the stracciatella with pistachio and drizzle with olive oil.
5. Cover with the top portion of the bread.