Tarrytown YMCA reopens after chemical spill
? A neighborhood YMCA reopened Tuesday after a chemical spill hospitalized nearly a dozen people one day earlier.
According to authorities, workers at the YMCA were trying to lower the pool?s pH level when a 5-gallon container of acid was accidentally knocked over. It is believed the chemicals were released into the air as vapor that entered the ventilation system. Many were treated for breathing problems.
Seven area fire departments and the Westchester hazmat team were called to the scene, along with representatives from the DEC and the Red Cross. Police say the hazmat team plans on conducting a full investigation.
In the meantime, YMCA officials are taking steps to ensure similar accidents will not happen in the future.
"We have implemented a number of procedures to eliminate the need for our staff to administer chlorine into the pool manually and cause any future problems," says YMCA CEO Gerry Rivera.
While the YMCA remains open, the pool will stay closed until at least Thursday. The administration of the YMCA will replace the malfunctioning pool pump, and it has already ordered a back-up pump. Hazmat inspectors will return to the YMCA Wednesday to make sure the pool is safe to use.