Rye mansion goes up in flames

A Rye family was left homeless as a result of an overnight fire that ripped through their multimillion-dollar mansion. Investigators say the fire broke out at 949 Forest Ave. around 9:30 p.m. Monday

News 12 Staff

Feb 25, 2009, 1:11 AM

Updated 5,568 days ago

Share:

Rye mansion goes up in flames
A Rye family was left homeless as a result of an overnight fire that ripped through their multimillion-dollar mansion.
Investigators say the fire broke out at 949 Forest Ave. around 9:30 p.m. Monday while the family was out for dinner. Dozens of firefighters battled the flames for more than two hours to get the blaze under control.
Fire officials say there is extensive damage to the basement and that there is major smoke damage throughout the home, making it unlivable.
No one was seriously hurt in the blaze. One firefighter was treated for smoke inhalation.
According to Rye fire officials, a faulty furnace in the basement of the house ignited the blaze.
Members of the family returned to the charred house Tuesday to salvage some of their belongings. The family is currently staying with relatives.


More from News 12