Proposal to combat Mamaroneck flood problems nears approval

<p>Mamaroneck could be getting some major funding to help mitigate its flood problems.</p>

News 12 Staff

Oct 13, 2018, 12:22 AM

Updated 2,111 days ago

Share:

Proposal to combat Mamaroneck flood problems nears approval
Mamaroneck could be getting some major funding to help mitigate its flood problems.
This week, a bill passed that would partially fund a major flood mitigation project.
The Mamaroneck and Sheldrake rivers meet in the village before emptying into the Long Island Sound. When major rain events happen, homeowners in the area suffer.
A major flood in 2007 caused damages costing more than $50 million. Since then, the village has pushed for solutions. 
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers presented a plan to build retaining walls, remove small bridges that constrict the rivers' flow and realign part of the waterway.
The project is estimated to cost more than $93 million.
With approval in the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives, it is up to President Trump to give final approval.
The bill would fund 65 percent of the project. Westchester County and the Village of Mamaroneck would then evenly split the remaining 35 percent.
Acting Mamaroneck Village Manager Daniel Sarnoof says the project being completed would be the most important thing that has happened to the village in its existence.


More from News 12
1:45
Greenburgh to fix one of its worst intersections

Greenburgh to fix one of its worst intersections

1:34
Warm and humid with possible showers today, nicer weather coming in 48 hours!

Warm and humid with possible showers today, nicer weather coming in 48 hours!

0:22
North Salem School Board places superintendent on administrative leave

North Salem School Board places superintendent on administrative leave

0:28
Wallkill man arrested for DWI, drug possession in Ulster County

Wallkill man arrested for DWI, drug possession in Ulster County

0:37
$5,000 reward offered for information on suspect in fatal shooting

$5,000 reward offered for information on suspect in fatal shooting

1:05
Headlines: Cocaine sentencing in Port Jervis, barn fire death, cause of plane crash released

Headlines: Cocaine sentencing in Port Jervis, barn fire death, cause of plane crash released

4:23
Sen. Bob Menendez to resign from office Aug. 20 following corruption conviction

Sen. Bob Menendez to resign from office Aug. 20 following corruption conviction

1:49
Mamaroneck tackles chronic flooding with new study and projects

Mamaroneck tackles chronic flooding with new study and projects

0:28
Susan Siegel projected winner in Yorktown council election

Susan Siegel projected winner in Yorktown council election

0:26
Woman stabbed in Yonkers domestic dispute, suspect arrested

Woman stabbed in Yonkers domestic dispute, suspect arrested

0:17
20-story mural completes transformation of downtown New Rochelle

20-story mural completes transformation of downtown New Rochelle

0:14
LEGOLAND New York seeks master model builder in 'Brick Factor Model Builder' competition

LEGOLAND New York seeks master model builder in 'Brick Factor Model Builder' competition

1:22
How are young Hudson Valley voters feeling about the possibility of Kamala Harris as the Democratic nominee for president?

How are young Hudson Valley voters feeling about the possibility of Kamala Harris as the Democratic nominee for president?

2:24
Tackling flooding in the Town of Mamaroneck, engineering consultant looks into options

Tackling flooding in the Town of Mamaroneck, engineering consultant looks into options

1:48
A look back at President Biden, VP Harris' visits to the Hudson Valley

A look back at President Biden, VP Harris' visits to the Hudson Valley

1:47
'I don't know what the answer is.' Newburgh residents may have to live with dangerous intersection indefinitely

'I don't know what the answer is.' Newburgh residents may have to live with dangerous intersection indefinitely

1:29
Oklahoma woman sentenced to 4-12 years for fatal drunk-driving crash in Newburgh

Oklahoma woman sentenced to 4-12 years for fatal drunk-driving crash in Newburgh

Special election in Yorktown will fill vacant Town Council seat

Special election in Yorktown will fill vacant Town Council seat

0:48
Made in the Hudson Valley: 'Mister Croissant' bakery brings world-class pastries to Middletown

Made in the Hudson Valley: 'Mister Croissant' bakery brings world-class pastries to Middletown